Wall Makeovers Without The Mess
No need to beg friends to help paint your boring walls just add stickers
I know, I know. You’re afraid of paint. Somehow your kindergarten teacher managed to scar you for life when she reprimanded you for not coloring within the lines. Now the idea of painting within borders makes you want to ask for the bathroom pass so you can go cry in a stall.
Not to worry, there are other ways to bring life to your bland walls. Vinyl décor are wall appliqués, tailor-made to come off as easily as they are to apply. They are like giant stickers for your home that come in a wide range of designs, shapes and sizes—yes, much like the ones you used to put all over your notebooks…or still do. Sure, they cost a little more than your Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle collection (depending on how much of an enthusiast you were) but for as little as 10 bucks you can completely avoid a horrendous paint job that cost you five times that. You might also prevent your guests from insulting your space while you're in the kitchen.
Think they aren't for you? Trust me; they've got something for everyone. Here are some examples:
For the Faux Naturist
Ever described yourself as “outdoorsy” on eHarmony yet you go full retard at the sight of a gnat? Own sleeping bags but only pull them out for guests? Love the movie "Into the Wild" but have mini panic attacks if you stay in your backyard too long? Bring one-dimensional versions of the trees, bugs and woodland animals indoors. No one will judge you...except if you flinch when passing the butterfly drawings.
For the Fantastical Film Buff
You know all the words to all the classics. In your wildest fantasy you and Sylvester Stallone have arm wrestling contests, Audrey Hepburn stops by to talk about the latest housewives episode and when Bogart says "Here's looking at you, kid," he’s really looking at you. Might as well step your delusions up a notch. Cop a few images of your favorite thespians.
For the Lonely Bachelor
Who needs a significant other? Okay, you do. But for now wall art may suffice. Perhaps snap a shot of you posing with one and send it to the girl you like to make her jealous. Only because she’d get a good laugh out of it. Not at all because it would work.
For the Comic Book Lover
You already have these. You don’t need to be reading this. But since you are, there are always new characters for that one corner of your apartment that isn’t covered yet.
For the Debbie Downer
We all have days when we need to talk ourselves out of bed. If, in your case, those days are only the ones that begin with Mon-, Tues-, Wednes-, Thurs- and Fri-, look to the wall. A motivational quote or mantra can change your outlook on life or if nothing else, your outlook on your bedroom. And please, smile, you’re depressing me.
For one way to apply these quick fixes simply do the following:
2. Position your art exactly where you want it.
3. Using painter’s tape, tape the decal to the wall at its corners without removing its paper backing.
4. Tape a horizontal strip starting on the wall on one side of the art across the center of the art to the wall on the opposite side of the art. Stay with me here, people.
5. Remove the tape from the corners of the vinyl that you applied in step 3, letting the art fold forward over the horizontal strip you applied in step 4.
6. Remove the paper backing from the top portion of the vinyl that has folded over.
7. Using a credit card or another flat surface smooth the top paper-free portion of the appliqué onto the wall.
8. Repeat with the bottom half.
9. Do a little dance because you successfully did something by yourself.
10. If otherwise, go find that bathroom stall.