What’s Not to Like About Obama's Jobs Act?
1 year ago
Loop 21 weighs the pros and cons of Obama's jobs jumpoff
If you’re an Odd Future-loving teen who really has an odd future because you have no job, you’ll like:
◦ That 35,000 schools will be wi-fi’d out and renovated. Hopefully that will mean with science labs like the White House says and not security cameras and metal detectors. Money will be targeted toward the lowest-income school districts, but remember, many of those are in rural areas. Still, this should give a lot of kids reason to get excited about going back to school, and getting skills they need for jobs after graduation.
◦ A new Pathways Back to Work Fund will expand summer jobs programs, and year-round job programs that put hundreds of thousands of kids to work in 2009 and 2010. As stimulus money runs out on December 31, it was a question whether there would be something to put money in the pockets of not-yet-adults. If this passes with the $5 billion asked for it, it should keep summer productive.
If you’re at home watching “How to Make it in America” singing “I Need a Dollar” because you’ve been out of work for the past few months you’ll like:
◦ That the payroll tax that firms pay for growing their staffs is being waived so that they will hire new workers. This gives companies relief and increases your chances that you’ll finally get calls back from the dozens of places you sent resumes to and filled applications out for over the past few months.
◦ The bullshit that is companies advertising to people already employed would be prohibited if this bill is passed, allowing you a shot at jobs that were closed off to you merely because you were out of work.
If you’re a public service employee who watches on the news every night how thousands of jobs like yours are under the guillotine because of some state or local budget crunch, or if you took a bullet for your country you’ll like:
◦ That the President wants to put up $35 billion to stop teachers, cops and firefighters from getting laid off. And if you’re a teacher this means you get to stick around for the new extreme makeover your school will get with funds from this bill.
◦ The tax incentives for businesses to stop fronting on hiring those who took out Saddam Hussein and Osama bin Laden so that everyone can feel safer.