KFC Hit With $8 Million Food Poisoning Lawsuit
1 year ago
Guess we know what NOT to order now
KFC may have to shell out some big bucks very soon.
A family in Australia is suing the chicken (if you want to call it that) king for $8 million saying that a giant chicken wrap gave their daughter salmonella, put her in a months-long coma and gave her brain damage.
Monika Samaan's family says that their then-7-year-old daughter contracted salmonella poisoning from a KFC chicken wrap in 2005. That infection led to her falling into a coma for six-months. When she finally did wake up from the coma Samaan had contracted spastic quadriplegia with severe brain damage.
Her father also claims that when Monika complained that she couldn't finish the chicken wrap or the "Twister" that the rest of the family shared it. From that he says he, his wife and son began vomitting and suffering from diarrhea the next morning, with all four of them winding up in the hospital.
The court and judge believed the story and have ruled in favor of the family. But KFC plans to appeal saying there is no real proof that their food made the family sick.
“You did not tell anyone at the hospital, when you were there between October 27 and 29, that you had shared a KFC Twister that Monday," KFC lawyers said in court, also mentioning their is no sales receipt proving the purchase.
Monika, who is 12-years old now, is confined to a wheelchair and the family says it needs the money to pay for lawyer and doctor fees.
"Monika's severe brain damage and severe disability has already exhausted the very limited resources of the family," says family lawyer George Vlahakis. "Monika is now a big girl and they are finding it increasingly difficult to lift her and to look after her basic needs as well as look after Monika's younger siblings. The compensation ordered is very much needed. KFC have to date been determined that Monika does not receive a cent."