George Zimmerman’s Father ‘Positive’ His Son Was A Victim [Audio]
Audio interview released with case evidence gives insight into how family dealt with incident
Robert Zimmerman, Sr. was sure that the screams heard on the 911 calls, moments before Trayvon Martin was killed, were coming from his son George.
At least, that’s what Robert told investigators at the Florida State Attorney Office on March 19. George’s father gave authorities an interview more than three weeks after his son confessed to shooting 17-year-old Martin in self-defense.
Right away, Robert wanted to refute claims that his son was not a victim.
“The tapes were played for the Martin family and they identified that as their son crying for help,” Robert told investigators. “That is absolutely, positively George Zimmerman. Myself, my wife, family members and friends know that that is George Zimmerman. There is no doubt.”
In numerous interviews, Martin’s parents have spoken convincingly that the voice heard on the 911 call is coming from their son.
“I believe that's Trayvon Martin, that's my baby's voice. Every mother knows their child, and that's his voice,” Sybrina Fulton told Anderson Cooper during an appearance on his network talk show.
“I can hear the 911 tapes in my head. I can hear him yelling,” Fulton said.
[ALSO READ: Top 5 Things To Know About The Evidence]
Trayvon’s father Tracy Martin echoed the same sentiments, also speaking to questions about the role his son’s race played in the incident. Trayvon’s family and many others argued that George would have never followed Trayvon if he weren’t black.
In the interview with investigators, Robert tried to debunk any notion that his son was a racist.
“I can’t comment on what George saw or what George was thinking or what anybody saw or what they were thinking,” Robert said. “If several Asians had broken in places (in the gate community where he encountered Trayvon) and he saw an Asian walking around, he'd probably say, ‘Well, wait a minute. I recognize most of the people that live here and I don’t recognize that person.’”
While it's unclear if the audio file had been edited by the state attorney’s office before its release, investigators seemed to ask very few questions. One of them called the Trayvon Martin case “a mess.”
Another investigator asked if Robert had spoken to George on the night of his incident. He had not.
[ALSO READ: George Zimmerman’s Brother Talks To CNN]
Robert also spoke about the number of death threats he and his family had received and that he couldn’t tell what was true and untrue about the case, by consuming to voluminous media reports.
An investigator advised him to ignore the news.
Robert has mostly avoided media interview, with the exception of a local network TV “off-camera” interview. His son, Robert Zimmerman, Jr., spoke appeared on CNN twice to talk about the case.