Obama and Rest of the World Infatuated with Osama's Death
Politicians and pundits are going head-to-head on whether boasting about Osama's death is wrong.
Happy Anniversary to the Obama camp for killing Osama bin Laden. It’s certainly a fete to be proud of. So proud, that President Obama has been touting it around for the last week or so. Now, it seems like everyone has something to say about it. Rather than adding to the bragging, we thought we’d provide you with all things bin Laden and how people are viewing Obama’s politicization of the event.
1. Obama Afghan War Speech - From Bagram Air Base in Afghanistan, Obama spoke to the agreement the United States made with Afghanistan. The purpose was to inform the people of what’s going on with the “war in the Middle East” and how the U.S. has made progress. This made sense. People should indeed know these things.
2. 'Forward' Campaign Video – Earlier this week President Obama released a campaign video shedding light on all of his accomplishments over the last four years — and it doesn’t seems like he missed a single fete. Among those accomplishments, he listed the killing of Osama bin Laden as a major highlight — making the transition from informing the public about it to using it as a campaign strategy. Should the killing of any man be subject to this?
3. Democrats Question Whether Romney Has Guts – VP Joe Biden, former president Clinton and President Obama questioned whether Mitt Romney would have been able to make the same decision in ordering the attack on bin Laden. Clinton released an ad praising Obama’s decision and Joe Biden (as if we were expecting anything different) said everything but “Romney is weak."
[ALSO READ: Obama Campaign Slogan Socialist?]
Obama has been referring to a comment Romney made in 2007, when Romney said that going after a terrorist wasn’t worth “moving heaven and earth.” Obama also said, “As far as my personal role and what other folks would do, I’d just recommend that everybody take a look at people’s previous statements in terms of whether they thought it was appropriate to go into Pakistan and take out bin Laden.”
4. Arianna Huffington Calls President Out on Ad – Speaking on CBS This Morning on Monday, Ms. Huffington called Obama’s “Forward” campaign ad 'despicable' and even compared it to Hillary Clinton’s infamous “3 a.m. Call” ad she released during the 2008 election.
"I don't think there should be an ad about it. We should celebrate the fact that they did such a great job. It's one thing to have an NBC special from the Situation Room ... all that to me is perfectly legitimate, but to turn it into a campaign ad is one of the most despicable things you can do,” she said.
5. Romney Calls Ad ‘Innapropriate’ But Defends Himself – While speaking at a Manhattan firehouse in New York yesterday, Romney denounced Obama’s tactics for politicizing the anniversary of the raid. At the same time, he also made his case.
"Had I been president of the United States, I would have made the same decision the president made,” he said.
Well, it seems like Romney doesn’t mind biting off a bit of Obama’s approach long enough to make his self look good.