Invisible Children Dropping New 'Kony' Video To Address Criticism
1 year ago
Filmakers/Activists will respond to the haters
Non-profit group Invisible Children became anything but last week when they dropped their 30-minute documentary about Ugandan warlord Joseph Kony. Thanks to a couple of tweets from some celebrities and shares on Facebook, the documentary went ultra-viral racking up nearly 74 million views and counting in less that seven days.
However, the popular video has become the target of criticism from many angles. Some have questioned the documentary's validity, while others have questioned it's timing.
Well, Invisible Children heard all of those complaints and are responding the best way they know how -- by dropping a new video on that ass.
"There's nothing to hide -- Invisible Children has been transparent since 2004, when we started," Ben Keesey, the group's chief executive, says in an interview on "CNN Newsroom" this past Sunday night. "That's our intention and we want to show that this campaign is part of a model and strategy that's comprehensive."
Their new video will be a 10-minute clip where they attempt to explain things like why they chose to drop the video six years after Kony moved his operation out of Uganda, why they only donated 30% of the money they generated to actually helping children like the ones featured in the video and address criticisms of them teaming with other child rebel armies to fight Kony's.
We're an unorthodox organization," says Jason Russell, the man who directed the film in an interview last week. "We work outside of the traditional box of what you think about charity and nonprofit."
Check out this video of the duo talking with Don Lemon of CNN and peep the rest of their report here.
[ALSO READ: Will The Kony Campaign Work?]