Request for More Security in Libya Months Before Ambassador Death
State Department official says demand was ignored
Requests from a State Department officer in Libya for more security fell on deaf ears months before an attack that resulted in the deaths of the U.S. ambassador to Libya and three others, according to documents and interviews obtained by the Los Angeles Times.
[ALSO READ: Ambassador Killed in Libya]
State Department official Eric Nordstrom reportedly told congressional investigators that he requested more security for the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi months before last month's fatal attack on the embassy. A national security official at Tripoli's U.S. Embassy, Nordstrom said he sent two cables to the State Department requesting more security.
Nordstrom was set to provide further testimony Tuesday before the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, which is currently investigating security before and during the attack that killed U.S. Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens and three other Americans.
[ALSO READ: Romney's Ill-Timed Critique]