The Truth About Online Dating
Are you going about getting a date the old fashioned way?
The Pew Research Center released a new report on the public's attitudes towards online dating and relationships, surveying 2,252 Americans, ages 18 and up, on their opinions about online love. The data was compared to results of past studies, and the good new is that online dating is gaining acceptance by society. The bad news is that daters aren't entirely happy with what they find. This is the first time Pew has conducted a poll about on dating since 2005. Here are some uprising results:
- Online dating is most popular among millennials. Among 25 to 34-year-olds, 22 percent partake in online dating. For 35 to 44-year-olds, it’s 17 percent.
- 5 percent of Americans who are currently married or in a long-term partnership met their partner online, and 11 percent of those who have been together for ten years or less did so.
- 65 percent of online daters say they’ve gone beyond the computer screen and have actually gone on a date with someone they met through a site. The rest, I'm assuming, are just teasing or are in an unfortunate catfishing scenario.
- Because the Internet will always have haters, according to Pew, “a significant minority of the public views online dating skeptically.” One-fifth of those polled said people who date online are “desperate.”
- However, 59 percent believe that “online dating is a good way to meet people” (up from 44 percent in 2005).
- 42 percent of those surveyed know someone who has tried online dating, rising from 31 percent in 2005.
- To the surprise of no one, 54 percent of online daters say they encountered someone who “seriously misrepresented” themselves in their profile. And, sadly, 28 percent reported being contacted by someone that made them feel harassed or uncomfortable (42 percent of women versus 17 percent of men).
Now that you know that online dating is becoming more accepted, we've rounded up some alternative and completely legit sites if you find Match.com and OKCupid too mainstream.
Gluten Free Singles -- who says celiac disease should stop you from finding love?
Sea Captain Date -- a dating site for actual sea captions who want to find their first mate
Purrsonals -- meet other cat lovers with great purrsonalities
Carrot Dating -- exchange plastic surgery or a tank of gas for dating, aka bribery.
Darwin Dating -- survival of the hottest, a site for beautiful people only
Have you tried online dating? What was your experience?