Barbara Walters Announces Retirement
The television news pioneer will leave her career next summer
After over 50 years of being on television, broadcast journalist icon Barbara Walters will retire in the summer of 2014.
Walters made the official announcement on her talk show “The View” Monday morning after news leaked the day before that she would make a statement in regards to her career.
“I have been on television continuously for over 50 years, but in the summer of 2014, a year from now, I plan to retire from appearing on television at all,” Walters said.
Walters said she will continue with “The View” as co-executive producer.
“I am very happy with my decision and look forward to a wonderful and special year ahead both on ‘The View’ and with ABC News,” Walters said. “I created ‘The View’ and am delighted it will last beyond my leaving it.”
She joined ABC in 1976, where she became the first female co-anchor on an evening news program. Before that, she began her career at NBC News where she spent 15 years and served as co-host of the “Today” show.
In 1997, she created “The View” where she has been a co-host ever since then.
Throughout her career, Walters has interviewed notable public figures such as Fidel Castro and Israel’s Prime Minister Menachem Benachem.
She has also interviewed every U.S. President since Richard Nixon and was the only journalist to get the exclusive interview with Monica Lewinsky after her romantic affair with President Bill Clinton.
“I do not want to appear on another program or climb another mountain,” she said. “I want instead to sit on a sunny field and admire the very gifted women and ok, some men too, who will be taking my place.”
You can view the entire official announcement here: