Former IMF Chief Settles Suit with NYC Hotel Maid
Sexual assault civil claim settled for an unconfirmed $6 million
Former International Monetary Fund leader and frontrunner for the French presidency Dominique Strauss-Kahn has settled the sexual assault lawsuit launched against him by a New York City hotel maid, a judge announced on Monday. Although the terms of the deal were confidential, a French newspaper reported that Strauss-Kahn has agreed to pay $6 million to his accuser, Nafissatou Diallo. Lawyers for Strauss-Kahn have denied that report and Diallo’s lawyers declined to comment. The incident in question is alleged to have taken place in May of 20122, when Diallo reported Strauss-Kahn forced her to perform oral sex and tried to rape her after she went to clear his room at the Sofitel New York hotel. The reports and ensuing legal proceedings led to Strauss-Kahn’s resignation as IMF leader. (Associated Press)
Lawyers for Former IMF Head Deny $6 Million Settlement With Hotel Maid
Dominique Strauss-Kahn's legal team says there is no settlement yet
Lawyers for former International Monetary Fund (IMF) chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn are denying reports that he has settled a lawsuit for $6 million with the hotel maid who accused him of sexual assault. They say settlement negotiations are happening, but a figure has not been reached.
Strauss-Kahn was arrested in New York in May 2011 after Nafissatou Diallo said he assaulted her in his hotel suite. Diallo's case was thrown out in a criminal court because prosecutors doubted her credibility, and she opened a civil suit for undisclosed damages against Strauss-Kahn. The former politician called the lawsuit defamatory and countersued.
Strauss-Kahn's lawyers William Taylor III and Amit Mehta said in a statement on Friday that reports of a settlement were "flatly false."
"The parties have discussed a resolution but there has been no settlement. Mr Strauss-Kahn will continue to defend the charges if no resolution can be reached," their statement said.
The BBC cited French newspaper Le Monde, which quoted unnamed sources close to Strauss-Kahn who said he planned to pay Diallo $6 million. The sources also said half would be paid by Strauss-Kahn and half would be loaned to him by his wife, Anne Sinclair. Sinclair and Strauss-Kahn were formally separated last month.
Diallo's case opened a veritable floodgate of other sexual allegations against Strauss-Kahn, and he resigned from the IMF. The allegations and court case are also believed to have ruined his chance of becoming a presidential candidate in France.
Dominique Strauss Kahn's Wife Kicks Him Out of Home
Anne Sinclair has obviously had enough of her controversial husband.
When a woman has had enough, she's had enough.
The wife of once-falsely accused rapist Dominique Strauss Kahn reportedly kicked him out of their home a month ago, according to Reuters.
"He's in a bad way. It's very sad," an acquaintance said of Strauss-Kahn to Reuters.
"He's mostly just at home on his own while Anne is out and about with her new job," the acquaintance told Reuters. "He's shunned by everybody."
[ALSO READ: Verdict Still Out on DSK in Streets of Paris]
The French socialist, who came into the American spotlight last year after he was accused of raping an African hotel maid in New York City, was accused of rape by a French woman around the same time, and was even linked to a possible prostitution ring. He is currently at the center of a civil lawsuit for the alleged New York City rape, and is still being investigated in France on links to prostitution.
The scandal ended any hopes Strauss-Kahn had of running for president. It also forced him to step down from his post at the International Monetary Fund.